Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Huh? Am I Being Followed?

Has anyone else ever experienced someone watching them while they shop and actually commenting on what you have in your basket as choices.


Not such a bad thing, as in a sense it is a compliment.  But, twice, I have been approached when in a consignment shop or thrift store and the person in question has asked to buy an item that caught their eye.


The couple at the register: 
When I had the first approach, The cashier and I were being told a story about Hurricane Katrina and how they lived in New Orleans; were up visiting their son and trying to re-establish their household.  She said she used to have a pillow just like the wool crewel work one with roses that I was purchasing.  "I spent so long making that pillow and really would like to have that one".


In brief, I thought she was giving a performance and using Hurricane Katrina to make people feel sorry for her and give her a deal on whatever it was they were going to purchase.  So, I listened with caution and wasn't about to fall into their trap and was hoping that the cashier wouldn't either.


Interesting to watch them play out their hurricane survivor role or should I say, watch her act.  She's aiming for this floral needle work pillow with a matching velvet back, for whatever purpose, thinking it is worth much more and offering me more in front of the cashier.


Me, I have already unzipped the cover and realize it is handmade.  But, sold by Pottery Barn ;)


Yeah, you have to smile and just play along.


She ended up offering me approximently $15 over what I was paying for the pillow.  To which I responded, "No, I really like the pillow and was glad that she did, as well.  But, I am keeping it for myself."


Recently, I was in a store and this one woman was eyeing what I had and commenting on my finds and what a good eye I had. 


She didn't just stop there.  She continued to comment on other items I added to the basket and followed me when I went to ask the cashier pricing on a couple of items that did not have price tags.  She whispered something to me as I was standing there and I wasn't able to make out what she was saying and just ignored her.


While standing waiting for the cashier to return with pricing, she told me she particularly liked this large older piece of upholstery material that didn't have a price and was eager to find out how much it was being sold for and where I picked it up.


I told her it was in an old bureau or narrow set of drawers along with other rags and scraps of cloth out in front of the store.


Cashier gave me a a price and sure enough, the admirer walked outside to check the drawers of the furniture for sale outdoors.


What I found odd with this experience is that it was a while before I checked out, as I continued to shop, after the cashier gave me pricing on items without tags.  When I did check out, I was surprised that the woman followed me and approached me outside the shop with a story about how she had that exact same fabric at home and would love to have a matching piece and would pay me $25 for it.

Ironically, both times I have been approached, the items have had a rose pink background and floral pattern.


Sometimes, I am caught off guard and don't know what to say.  But, I quickly replied that I wasn't interested in selling and already had plans to use it to cover a sofa and walked away.


Heck, now not only do I have to guard those one of a kind items, as if left in basket or on the counter, I often have to stop other shoppers from walking off with the prized items I have found and am going to purchase.  Now, I have to also be prepared to say "NO" in a polite and tactful way to other customers that want what I have.


I just got a flashback of the man in business attire that approached me in a woman's lingerie department years ago.  But, that is another story.


Hint to the wise, when leaving a store, try and take notice of who is following you.

Update - 29 May 2011 - Encore!
It happened again this week.  I was at the register ready to check out and had items neatly folded in my basket.  An elderly lady that was in front of me asking the sales rep for assistance on a price turned around and saw a pair of hand made, heavy upholstery fabric drapery panels that I was purchasing.  She immediately dove into my basket and picked up a panel and started to unfold it and oh and ah about how nice it was.  Plus rattling along about how she made a laundry bag out of some similar fabric and was offered $20 for it by someone who saw her with it.

I am beginning to find some humor in this re-occurrence.

No comments:

Post a Comment