Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Crystal Chandeliers - Just Brilliant!

Growing up around antiques and older furniture made me sway towards more contemporary and modern, simple lines of furnishings and decorations, once I was of age and could make decisions about my own decor.

Now, look at me... Swaying back to the other direction, I am finding beauty again and again in the detail of more complex pieces, carvings and patterns, etc.

One of the items that I often search for when I am surfing my local craigslist.org site is "chandelier".  I came across this 18 light, crystal and glass chandelier back in early April.




The photographs are showing it in the owners newly redecorated dining room.  This was one of the final items to be removed prior to the new light they had purchased being installed and the ceiling being patched and repainted.

It took a couple of trips to procure this item.  One to view and make a commitment and another follow-up days later to pay and pick-up the chandelier and the plaster medallion.

I am not sure if the medallion will work on the textured and vaulted ceiling of my living room.  But, it might find a second life elsewhere, such as the adjoining dining room, as I am now in search of another much smaller scale and similar chandelier for that space (open to the living room).

This will not get installed right away, as the basement project is still in process and moving along well.  But, slowly.  That takes precedence at the moment.

It took an entire evening removing the crystals and the individual candle bowls from under each light fixture and cleaning them.  I am certain it might take just as long or longer to re-install.  But, for now the pieces are clean and stored away ready for installation.

Little factoid, this house built in 1983 does not have overhead lights in a majority of the rooms.  Mrs. O'Dea must have elected not to have them installed in lieu of using table lamps.

Personally, far too dark for me and when the sun goes down it makes me very sleepy..

No comments:

Post a Comment