Thursday, August 25, 2011

Keys - How To Keep Them Organized, etc.?

This is one of those post that I am not going to offer advice.  Actually, I need assistance on a good, inexpensive method to keep track of the slew of keys that one collects over the years.  Everything from luggage, padlock, house, auto keys, etc.

Yesterday, I had zero luck in my search for a key ring with my old truck keys on it.  I have had it in a zippered section of my purse for months and very well might have taken them out to temporarily lighten the load before heading out one day.  But, can not for the life of me recall, if so, where I put them.

Not a small key ring either, as it has a decorative Tony the Tiger or Exxon, Tiger in the tank head with a safari hat on.

The positive of the whole search is that I thought I had certainly lost my second set of house, truck and car keys months ago.

NO....  They were found and recovered in the Tiger Ring Search.

No joke.

Found them in a lower zipped pocket of my backpack; which I only use periodically.

Sweet, as on Monday PM, I went to Home Depot and had them make three (3) copies of my SUV key.  The downside, I discovered is that the manufacturer's keys obviously have a microchip in them.  Therefore, my duplicate keys are only functional for the door lock and to turn the electronics on via the ignition key hole.

Back to how to label and store.  I need suggestions desperately and would prefer a method that doesn't take up too much space and yet has all keys visible.  (Hmmm...  Just thought if there was a method of solid pages in a three ring binder that might be a possible solution.)

How do you tag your keys, so that you aren't totally stumped when you go to open the shed door and don't know which Master Lock key goes to that particular lock?

How many spares or back-ups is enough?

No comments:

Post a Comment