Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Fence Project: O'Dea-O'Dea

The Fence Project was put into motion as of Saturday, 30 October.  The first day consisted of rental of a gas auger and a manual post digger to accomplish the tasks of digging seven (7) 3' deep holes on my property line to place the seven (7) post.  Three foot holes were required, as I want the privacy fence to be at the maximum height allowed by the county of seven feet (7') high.

My next door neighbor's project only required two (2) post holes at 2' deep for his dog pen project that will have six foot (6') high fence ends sandwiched between the existing fence and their deck.

The second day consisted of not two (2), but (3) trips to Home Depot for supplies of wood, cement, hanger brackets and treated deck screws.

Sunday, prior to sundown, we had all of the post in the ground with cement setting.  Plus, all of the top rails of the privacy fence on my property were cut and installed, as well as the middle and lower rails of one section for me to use as a sample to finish the remainder of the project on my own.

Another Friday Re-Build purchase included solid cedar, decorative post caps.  They truly make a difference on the finished appearance of the post.  I am now pondering as to whether or not the linear foot cost of use of a decorative rail top to the fence would be cost prohibitive or not. 
Cedar Post Cap

Might look much more finished and professional than the plain, straight top board finish.  But, the jury is still out on budget ($).

I will post photos later.