Friday, October 8, 2010

Home Power Use – AM Showers

Not everyone thinks the same way; which is a good thing in many circumstances.  One thing that I think differently about is heating and cooling of “space”.  There are those times during the day that it does not make sense to heat or cool your entire house.

My examples are when you get up in the AM and take a shower prior to getting on with your day and leaving the house.

You are maybe in the bathroom a maximum of 10 minutes and yet you probably have adjusted the heat for the entire house in order to warm it up enough to take your shower without cringing and shivering.

What I did was bought a portable heater at Target some 5 years ago and I turn that on facing the shower when I wake up in the AM and then partially close the door until I go back in and am ready to shower, etc.  (Cat box placement prohibits me from completely closing the door.)

Depending on how warm the bathroom becomes you can either leave the heater on while you shower and continue to get ready or power it off once the room is sufficiently heated.

My suggestion and tip is to physically unplug the unit once you turn it off.  That way there is no chance that it will accidently be left on.

In the warmer months, set-up a small fan to turn on in the area you dry off and get dressed in.  Once you are finished, unplug for safety purposes.

1 comment:

  1. we have a heat lamp in the bathroom that does the same thing - warms the room up a bit before you put your toes on cold tile floor...

    ReplyDelete