Friday, October 8, 2010

Home Electricity Use

Does anyone else question as to what is normal for a home your size within your geographic area for normal electricity usage per month?

Other than being able to see on my statement the fluctuation of kilowatt hours (kWh) used per month, I have no idea as to whether my utilization is normal, low or dramatically high.

The heating venting and air conditioning system is powered by electricity and the heat, hot water and stove are generated by gas.

The table below shows my utility kWh utilization billing quantities from April – October of this year.  I believe it translates to usage from March – September.


Month
KWh
April
101
May
245
June
628
July
1212
August
1342
September
1223
October
739


What an economist and green geek I am.  I would actually like to know how this usage compares to others and what I can do to ratchet down the utilization if it is beyond the norm of my neighbors.
Wonder if they would put me on the do not answer the door list or acknowledge, if we see her working in the yard list?

How does this utilization compare to yours?

FYI:  I signed up for Dominion Power Smart Cooling Rewards Program and their device was recently attached to my air compressor.  The program is annual in terms of signing up having the device activated and being eligible for the $40 annual reward/rebate for participation.  But, the actual control by the power company of air compressors is only between the months of June and August and enables them to remotely cycle off a customer’s air compressor for up to 4 hours during weekdays.

While the compressor is being remotely controlled to off, your house fan will not be impacted and may continue to operate.

I will not be able to share how this program works out for me until sometime late in June of next year.  In the mean time, if you have any tips and tricks let me know.

I have a digital thermostat that I need to get installed that will allow me to pre-set HVAC temperature settings according to day of the week and time of the day.  I have used them before and it certainly helps adjusting the heating and cooling throughout the day and you can keep cooling and heating to a minimum during those periods when you are asleep or away from your home.

No comments:

Post a Comment