Tuesday, October 19, 2010

What is...In The Area That I Like To Use My Laptop

Indulge the author, as she is posting photos mainly for family members that have not visited O'Dea-O'Dea.  Above is a photo of the area that I like to sit when using the laptop and blogging.  Perhaps unconventional, but I prefer to work where there is plenty of natural light, comfortable and a lack of clutter around me.

I have always cringed when I have walked into someones work space or office and find that they sit in the dark like a mushroom.  A dark room just makes my eyelids heavy with sleep! 

Stare into the light my children.  Or at least work in an environment that is well lit and conducive to work.

Yes, I have space dedicated as an office.  But... for all intensive purposes it is under construction and in dire need of major unpacking and organization.

Items in the area where I like to use my laptop include:
  • Comfortable high back chair with a pillow to help support the lumbar area.
  • Ottoman/foot stool to hold various items at arms reach.
  • An old hospital bed tray that has survived all of these decades to come into another setting and be useful a la Restoration Hardware's newest collection of industrial furnishings and products having a second more glamorous life in the home with a new purpose .  The tray has a wrought iron pipe stand with knobs for adjustment (up/down for height and tilt of the tray) and the top is made of oak with an approximately 1/2" lip around the entire edge.  (It is nice to have the adjustments of tray in that I can tilt the tray when using the laptop.)
  • West Elm large, square, off-white vase that I keep handy for paper recycling (area where I often open the mail).
  • IKEA office organizer box assortment.  Large gray cardboard organizer box with lid and handle cut outs is big enough to hold papers and open mail that needs to be tended to.  The smaller black office organizers on the floor are a more recent purchase.  (They actually collapse flat when not in use - nice!  Then to use them there is a zipper in the center of each base that is zipped to hold the box square.  They also have clear plastic pockets on one corner for insertion of labels.)  The boxes hold note books; mail that needs to be attended to and coupons and sales that might be of future interest.
  • BlackBerry Bold wireless device.
  • Digital camera and USB cable.
  • An onyx and brass very large older ashtray that sits on an Italian 100% wool throw.  You might see an old ashtray.  I on the other hand see it as an interesting and solid piece that I can rest my beverage in while I am seated in the chair.   
That my children, is what is in the area that I like to use my laptop with the lesson to have some original thought and ideas as to how to see, use or re-use items for unconventional purposes.

No comments: